Welcome to my very first blog post! I can tell you now that there has been some serious procrastination before I reached this point. I'm naturally a little bit disorganised. I've tried using beautiful diaries that I'm too scared to tarnish with my disconnected thoughts; numerous to-do list pads; apps; and half-hearted 5 year plans that subconsciously I know I'll no longer aspire to in six months time. And I know that the title probably sounds a little bit too good to be true, but if you're anything like me, I promise that what I'm about to tell you is definitely worth a try if you haven't already. I really believe the moon can help the more intuitive among us to live a more balanced, harmonious and organic existence, without all the frustration and self-blame that so often accompanies those more rigid forms of planning and organisation. So please keep reading - don't be a muggle!
Why should I believe that the moon can affect me?
The moon is powerful, beautiful, and revolves around the Earth. It lifts the tides, it lights up the night, and there are numerous theories that suggest it affects human and animal physiology too. Astrologically, the moon symbolises emotions, needs, and the subconscious, to name but a few. So, just as your star sign can reveal some elements of your character and even help you to make predictions about your future, the position of the moon can affect the way you feel and the tasks and activities you are best aligned to throughout each month, making it easier to plan and predict what you'll excel at (and feel like) doing and when.
How do I tune in to all that shiny energy?
The new moon (i.e. When it looks like there isn't one) is the perfect time for dreaming, planning, intention setting, and a great excuse for a fresh start. The full moon, which appears two weeks either side of the new moon, is time to forgive, let go, and flex your gratitude attitude. Be prepared to experience a little lunacy around the full moon too, especially if you're sensitive. The zodiac signs can alter the effects of the moon depending upon its proximity to them. For example, a new moon in Virgo is the perfect time to get your life in order: cultivate positive new habits, eat healthily, catch up with admin tasks, and declutter. A new moon in Leo, on the other hand, is a great time for being creative and indulgent. (N.B. See the link at the bottom of the page for my free-to-download lunar calendar.) You can even take it a step further and discover how the moon affects you specifically according to your birth chart.
How to set intentions and make wishes on the new moon...
1. Light candles, play nature sounds, and generally make your surroundings look a little bit more magic.
2. Make a gratitude list. Who or what have you been most grateful for this past month? Close your eyes for a few minutes and think about the people or things on your list, and let them bring a smile to your face. Remind yourself of the happiness they give you.
3. Write down your top 10 wishes for the coming month, along with actionable steps you can take to help them materialise.
4. Close your eyes and imagine each of your wishes coming true, and how amazing it will feel when it happens.
5. Keeping your eyes closed, imagine that you are releasing your dreams and wishes into the universe.
And what to do when there's a full moon...
1. Close your eyes and take some deep breaths to centre yourself.
2. Think about something negative that you want to let go of, and write it down on a piece of paper.
3. On the same piece of paper, write a forgiveness list. Include anyone who has hurt you, or let you down in any way.
4. Close your eyes, and imagine each person in turn. Imagine they are smiling at you, and send them forgiveness. (Don’t forget, holding onto anger only hurts you. Try your best to let go.)
5. Burn your forgiveness list - ideally over a sink! If you don’t trust yourself, tear it into tiny pieces. That should keep you busy :)
6. Finally, write a gratitude list. Close your eyes and meditate on those things or people you’re most grateful for. Let yourself smile.
7. Burn (or tear) your gratitude list.
I hope this inspires you to revisit how you schedule rest, fun, or new projects. My favourite thing about exploring this practice is that the new moon will fall into each sign once a year, and taking the traits of each sign into account, this means you’ll have focussed on improving so many areas of your life. Whether or not you believe the moon can affect our lives this drastically, there's no doubt that these ideas provide us with a flexible, powerful, and intuitive life tool that lets us live creatively, and makes lots of lovely allowances for wrong turns and fresh starts!
I'd love you to share your experiences in the comments if you do give this a try, or, if you already consider the moon to be your bestie, then pleeeease share your secrets!
P.S. I got into this because I read Moonology by Yasmin Boland. It's amazing. Definitely buy/borrow a copy if you’re into this.
P.P.S. Sign up to download my lovely (and free) 2018 lunar calendar. It shows you when the moon falls into each sign, too.
P.P.P.S. If you want to get more in tune with yourself first, I think you'll love my brand new bespoke astrology chart prints.